Transitioning from child to adult services

This checklist can help

If your child is starting high school, the discussion turns to transition planning. This is a critical dialog for families as it maps out the graduation pathway for their child to adulthood.

Education pathway

A Committee on Special Education (CSE) team develops an IEP. The Individualized Education Program (IEP) is an outline of the special education placement, services, and accommodations that a student with a disability must receive. Your Care Manager can participate in your student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings and help guide you. For students turning 15 and older, the IEP will list post-secondary goals and transition services. Please reach out to your Care Manager with questions or support during this process.

Transitioning health care

Families also must consider the transition from pediatric care to adult health care. Many members have medical or genetic conditions or often struggle with mental or behavioral health challenges. Every school district in New York is required to have a district physician. Their role is to be an active member of the CSE team, be available as a consultant to CSE, act as a liaison between the district and the student’s personal physicians, and attend CSE meetings as required.


We know that this process can be overwhelming, so we have created a transition checklist to help guide members along the way.

Disclaimer: All LIFEPlan documents are created as general guides. We understand that each situation is unique, so contact your Care Manager if you have questions.